Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Scotland...........tartans and castles


A quick side trip to bonnie Scotland.  
We seven, a motley crew comprising of two Brits(Babs & Eric), two ex-pats, but always Brits (Paula & yours truly), one Canadian (Kim), and two Americans (Bob and Rob), piled into the van early morning, wished the rain away, and headed for the border.  Two hours later we stopped briefly in Gretna Green - the border town where under age Brits have always run off to get married - and then we were on the road to beautiful Edinburgh.


I really believe men get to have a ton of fun wearing amazing Scottish tartans.  The kilts are so gorgeous and I love them dressed up for formal occasions with jackets and beautiful ties.  
Hey, would you go out with a man wearing a 'skirt'?  Must say I wouldn't hesitate if he looked like this! Bob, your legs are OK still - perhaps we should have bought you one!
  



Interesting historic buildings - numerous statues for perching! 


Edinburgh Castle - sitting proudly above this lovely city.  My first time in Scotland - sun shining, wind blowing, a short but exhilarating visit.
The castle has been a stronghold for over 3000 years - Scotland's chief royal castle since the middle ages.


Scottish bank notes...........having a wad of them would be nice to spend on all those tartans!


You know my tastes...............and having lunch in this lovely space under an exquisite ceiling with a gorgeous chandelier, made dining in Scotland memorable.  Even the food was great.  Of course you also know I was aching to bubble wrap that chandelier, tuck it in my suitcase, and bring it back to SuzAnna's Antiques!!!


The Palace of Holyroodhouse.


The Palace of Holyroodhouse, commonly referred to as Holyrood Palace, is the official residence of the reigning monarch in Scotland.  Standing at the bottom of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, it is the setting for state ceremonies and official entertaining.  Queen Elizabeth II spends one week in residence at the beginning of each Summer.


Holyrood Abbey was founded by David I, King of Scots in 1128 - the shell of the abbey church is visible in the palace grounds.


Wish we'd had time to view this photography exhibit at Holyrood - that banner photo is our beautiful Queen Elizabeth  as a child.


More touristy kilt offerings - they even look good mixed with sportswear.

Another view of Edinburgh Castle - live bird perched on the statue's head!


Looking back at the city - a quick but wonderful visit.  At last I can add Scotland to my list of places visited. About time too.........growing up at the other end of the British Isles was a long way to travel so I never made it there as a child.

Lots more posts to come from the Lake District - Beatrix Potter, castles, sheep, more sheep, incredibly beautiful countryside.........and my meeting(s) with two delightful bloggers!  
Stay tuned - my jet lag is bad, and the heat here in NC is making my head pound......but I'll be back soon.

22 comments:

  1. I've missed so many of your posts, Mary, I have to back track. This is a wonderful post and your pictures are breathtaking.

    I hope you are on your toes soon. We had a great time in your beautiful state!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. About time - I have been looking in hourly to see what you were up to "UP North".
    Gretna Green is rather dire but I watched a flock of starlings doing their pre-roost dance there. Magical.
    Love you
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful picture postcard images! Your photography is very detailed and rich. And I guess men can look pretty hot in kilts !!

    ciaonewportbeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tartans and castles, Oh My! Love it Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photographs of Scotland - look forward to those of the Lakes - not far from where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always interesting to see photos of Scotland. My mom's sister married a Scottish man, and that is also where my mom and dad met and got married! I'll have to show them these photos as they were close to that area.
    Hope your jet lag gets better soon, this heat is something else!
    Take Care,
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos of your visit to Scotland. I think the weather was the same when I was there :-) Such a beautiful city. Looking forward to your new posts of your trip. Stay cool. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that post was certainly worth the wait! It looks like you're having a wonderful time.
    I love a man in a kilt - my brother wears one often, and I just had two kilt-clad cousins visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home. The heat is terrible. Ugh! I'm not ready for the heat and humidity of summer.

    I love this post, dear Mary. You always make me feel as if I were along with you.

    I hope you took pictures of something pink to share this weekend for The Big Pink Saturday 3rd Birthday Celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fun time, Mary. I do want to get back to Scotland some day soon. We were in Edinburgh just over night back in the 80s. I'd love to be visiting all that tartan and those wonderful castles. ;-)
    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the visit! Thanks for taking me along!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Mary what an amazing post, your pictures are just like being there, thank you for taking me along ( virtually) smile... and yes I would love to see my Tom wearing a kilt!!! lol

    Hope you have rested and feeling better!

    Blessings,
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some hunky looking men there Mary!
    Love all the photos and i can't wait to see more!

    Can you send me some heat? Hope you feel better soon!
    Pamela ox

    ReplyDelete
  14. i can not wait to see your post Mary about the Lakes and Beatrix Potter!
    I would like to visit in Scotland also, maybe someday when i am again near the Lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always wished to visit Scotland one day...thanks to you I'm able now to do it, virtually at least....can't wait for more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope the jet lag and headache are better by now. Loved seeing the pictures of Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would certainly go out with a man wearing a kilt! I think they are very sexy indeed! I love all the tartans too not to mention the skirl of the pipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I went to Scotland many years ago and loved it. We even passed Lake Ness and looked for Nessie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mary, nice to see you've had a safe return home. Love the pictures of Scotland. Would love to visit Scotland...one day. Holyrood houses several paintings by my Great Uncle. He was commissioned by Queen Victoria to do several paintings of rooms after the death of Albert. We actually have two original paintings of his, here at the house. Both you and Bob need to stop by one day. Would love to meet for coffee or a spot of tea sometime soon! All our best!

    Dorothy-

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you both arrived home safely, trust you had a wonderful holiday. Scotland looks lovely, had a stay in Edinburgh years ago and saw the castle. Looking forward to seeing what else you got up to during your two weeks. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello from Edinburgh! Visiting from The House of Edward, where I saw your mention of being in Scotland recently. So sorry I didn't know of your visit! By coincidence I've just posted a kilt-themed post featuring the name of the shop in your top two photos. I think 'slanj', the Gaelic for 'cheers/your good health' is a great name for a kilt shop!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.