Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Best laid plans........................


Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob 1914 
Fredrick Childe Hassam 1859-1935- American Impressionist

Saturday evening, after Irene said goodbye to North Carolina and journeyed north, wreaking havoc along her path, we managed to enjoy a thoroughly hilarious community theatre production of Ruthless, The Musical. Even though Broadway closed down in NYC as they awaited the storm, Raleigh Little Theatre remained open. We then made plans to spend much of Sunday morning cleaning up the storm debris that Irene had scattered about our garden. 

Thankfully we had no hurricane damage.  After playing the adult version of 'pick up sticks' in 92 sultry degrees for a few hours, we had just three large barrels of branches, twigs, bunches of leaves that had fallen from our trees.  Sunday afternoon was to be a relaxing time.  A nice cup of tea on the front porch, perhaps read a few chapters of my current book, The Poisonwood Bible, supper later in the gazebo. 

.....and then it happened, just before I had time to boil the kettle and make a nice pot of Earl Grey.....

A huge thud from outside, and the power shut down.  Funny how quickly the neighbors all run outside when something quietens the house in an instant.  Across the street our neighbor's very big, very old, ivy-covered oak tree, weakened from the storm, had dropped a huge limb across the street........and it took the transformer and all wiring down with it.  We live at the end of a cul-de-sac so of course were prisoners on our own street........until this morning.  Tree removal and power company guys worked through the night, thankfully restoring power and opening up the street by early morning. Oh yes, we did still enjoy supper in the gazebo, with lots of candles of course.

My prayers are with those of you who have experienced Irene's wrath.  I hope you, your families and friends, and your homes are safe.


12 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read that the oak tree only took out the power, and that no one was hurt. What a weekend you had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your problems from Irene were minor. We didn't get any real effects from it. We have a huge tree over our home that belongs to the neighbor and been able to get a few big limbs taken off but it definitely is in my worry zone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that that tree didn't damage anyone's home or car! Glad you are safe and sound Mary....
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to hear you had little damage around your home. I hope you were still able to relax and read of few chapters of your book. "The Poisonwood Bible". It is a really good read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi dear! Thank you for your comforting and encouraging words, they really mean a lot to me. I'm looking forward to seeing you soon, have missed you lots! Luna will be back to school next week, then I will have my free mornings to plan on getting together. Hope you are enjoying the lovely weather! Love, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, I'm glad to hear all is well there. Irene left her mark for certain. Just relieved she wasn't as destructive they predicted.
    Enjoy the book. It's a good read. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear things are well there to spite the loss of power from the neighbor's tree. I am glad Irene weakened before it hit the US coastline.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, I am so glad that you did not have any severe damage from the storm. I heard from my buddy in VA, they were without power from sunday to early this morning. Quite a few trees down on their property but nothing on the house.

    I was so worried, they have a small plantation of trees where they live, I was praying that they had no branches over the house, all is well.....I can breathe again.

    Take care......

    ReplyDelete
  9. We did the same type of lawn pick-up Sunday, too. And, it was hot and muggy. But, we had a nice family dinner with our son to end our weekend.

    I'm glad you are safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous painting...I haven't seen this one before. I join you in your prayers for those suffering the effects of Hurricane Irene. We are not hearing much about it here on the West Coast for some reason...or maybe I've just not been watching the right news programs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy to hear your damage was minimal in comparison to some. Sometimes losing power for a short time is a blessing that tells us to slow down and sit by candle light and have dinner in the gazebo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After being "poorly" and with just one typing hand, thanks to 2 horrid wasp stings, I'm just now catching up with what my friends have been up to this week.
    Glad that you weren't too badly affected by Irene, and I guess any excuse to eat by candlelight is a good one, n'est pas?

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.